— Start —
— Finish —
Ready to Start?
If you’re ready to submit a manuscript to JoVE, and would like a walkthrough of the submission process, see our instructions below. Please consult our Instructions for Authors for specific instructions concerning manuscript formatting. If you have questions, contact your editor or email email@example.com
To submit a manuscript, you will need:
- Manuscript and Supporting Materials
- A manuscript, formatted according to our Instructions for Authors and Standard or Medical Template (Microsoft Word doc or equivalent only)
- Cover Letter
- Figures (not embedded in manuscript) (Please use the 'Description' feature when uploading!)
- Table of Materials and Reagents
- Data tables (optional)
- Animated or video figures (optional)
- Low Resolution video (less than 50 mb) (for Author Produced articles ONLY)
- Completed Article and Video License Agreement (Note: only 1 Agreement is required per submission)
- Names, email and mailing addresses of your co-authors
- Name and email of at least 6 Suggested Reviewers
- Billing contact and address. You will not be invoiced until your article has been editorially accepted, but the contact information is collected at submission.
Directions for submission:
- If you have been invited to submit an manuscript by a JoVE editor, please click the submission links included in the emails you have received
- Register and Log In: Visit the JoVE submission site. If you are a returning user or have been pre-registered by your editor, log-in with the credentials previously provided. If you have not been registered, please click Register Now . Do not register a 2nd time. You may change your username and password after log in by clicking Update My Information
- Submit New Manuscript: Click the Submit New Manuscript link to start a new submission.
- Choose Article Type: Most articles will be JoVE produced. Author Produced articles should only be chosen if you have the capabilities to produce a professional quality video, given by these guidelines.
- Enter Title: Please type the full title of your article. Please use proper capitalization (do not use all caps). We have a 150 character maximum for titles.
- Add Authors: Add any co-authors. Be sure to include all required information. If you do not include all required information, you will be able to go to the next submission step, but you will not be able to complete the submission. If you mark an author as the corresponding author, all correspondence about the submission and review process will go to this person. Note: If you choose this, the submission will ‘disappear’ from your account and you will not be able to complete the submission process without the new corresponding author logging in to Editorial Manager and approving the submission. The corresponding author can be changed prior to publication.
- Select Journal Section (optional): Choose the Journal section that you believe best represents your work. JoVE reserves the right to publish a manuscript in a section different from that which the author indicates.
- Enter an abstract: 100 Word minimum, 300 word maximum
- Enter Keywords: Please enter keywords, separated by semicolons, which describe your manuscript. These can be techniques, model organisms or other terms to specify the scope of your manuscript. These will help us assign reviewers. You will be able to select codified classifications in the next step.
- Select Classifications: Click the Select Classifications button to choose codified classifications. Please use the Search function to find the terms that best describe your work.
- Answer Manuscript Submission Questions: Please provide us a bit of additional information about the manuscript.
- Enter Comments (optional): If there are any questions or comments that have not been addressed on our authors page, in our Instructions for Authors, Manuscript Templates, or in correspondence with an editor, please include them here.
- Suggest Reviewers: Please suggest at least 5 academically qualified reviewers to help review your manuscript. This will expedite the review process. However, we cannot ensure your suggested reviewers will be selected to review your manuscript. Please do not include this list in your manuscript.
- Opposed Reviewers: If there is anyone you do not want to review your manuscript, please provide their basic information and a short reason. Please do not include this list in your manuscript.
- Request Editor: If you have been in contact with a JoVE editor, please select them from the pull down menu. This will ensure that the correct editor is assigned to your manuscript. If you have not been in contact with an editor, please select No Request . Your manuscript will then be assigned to an editor and they will be in contact with you once assignment has occurred.
- Attach Files: Please choose the item to be attached from the dropdown Item box. Items marked with an asterisk are required for upload. Please follow the instructions listed at the top of this page concerning accepted file types. Note: The Article and Video License Agreement is required for publication but can be faxed or mailed to JoVE. However, it is easiest to sign, scan and upload. When attaching figures, please add the figure number and name in the 'Description' box before uploading.
- Ensure all required items are attached and information included: If you have missed a submission item or a piece of required information, you will not be able to complete the submission process. There will be red text telling you which step has missing information. Navigate back to that step and enter the missing information (You may click on the left hand menu to navigate more quickly). After this information is input, navigate back to the Attach Files page.
- Change Attachment Order (optional): If you wish to change the order of the article items (they will be built into a PDF for editorial and reviewer viewing in this order). Enter a number and hit enter. This is most relevant for figures uploaded out of order
- Build PDF: Once all information has been input and files attached, click the Build PDF for Author Approval button.
- View Submission: Once the PDF is built, go to Action Links on the left hand side of the screen and click View Submission . Open the file and make sure that all files are attached and displayed correctly. This will be your official submission.
- Approve Submission or Edit Submission: After viewing your submission PDF, if all is well, clicking Approve Submission will submit the manuscript to JoVE. If you need to edit the submission, such as adding different files or changing author information, click Edit Submission in the Action Links menu. If you edit the submission, the PDF will need to be rebuilt and you will need to view it again before submitting.
Congratulations! You've submitted your manuscript to JoVE, the Journal of Visualized Experiments, the world's first and only peer-reviewed scientific video journal! Because, in an increasingly interdisciplinary world, how you did it is just as important as what you found.