Submission and Review
JoVE will handle all aspects of video production, including filming and editing, at locations within our Videographer Network. Authors outside of our videographer network should click here to learn about our Video Produced by Author option.
- You submit an original manuscript according to JoVE’s guidelines, which must complete internal editorial review and then external peer review to be accepted for publication.
- After your manuscript is accepted, JoVE’s Ph.D. scriptwriters translate your manuscript into a video script and tell you what materials and reagents to prepare in advance.
- On the day of filming, JoVE sends a professional videographer to your lab to shoot the video. The protocol is typically filmed in one day.
- Following filming, JoVE edits your video and adds professional voice-over talent to narrate the science shown on film.
- Your video article will then be published online and indexed in PubMed/MEDLINE, SciFinder, and Scopus.
If you have questions regarding the videographer coverage area or submitting a manuscript, please contact email@example.com.
Manuscript preparation and submission
We accept written manuscripts that follow our Manuscript Instructions for Authors.
Required Submission Components:
- Cover letter describing:
- Why this work should be published in JoVE's unique multimedia format
- Author contributions
- The names of any JoVE editors who have assisted you in the submission process
- A list of 6 peer reviewer names with their institutional affiliation and email addresses You may also suggest up to three opposed reviewers
- Manuscript in the proper format. Please download and use either the Standard Manuscript Template or Medical Manuscript Template and follow the guidelines in the Manuscript Instructions for Authors document.
- Separate figure files/data tables in the proper formats according to the Manuscript Instructions for Authors document.
- Separate Excel spreadsheet with Tables of Specific Materials/Equipment.
- A signed Author License Agreement or Author License Agreement UK. This can be uploaded with your submission or mailed/faxed to the editorial office (Note: only one Agreement is required per submission).
You should also have the following prepared:
- Names, emails and mailing addresses of your co-authors
- Billing contact and address; you will not be invoiced until your article has been editorially accepted, but the contact information is collected at submission
- JoVE Endnote Style File (EndNote)
- JoVE Reference Manager Style File (Reference Manager)
- JoVE CSL Style File ( Zotero, Mendeley, Papers, Qiqqa, Drupal, Pandoc)
When all components are completed, please follow our submission instructions at http://www.jove.com/publish/ready-to-start
All submitted manuscripts undergo editorial review immediately upon submission. Editorial review ensures that all manuscripts are written according to JoVE guidelines, the content fits within JoVE's scope, and the protocol is filmable. Manuscripts that do not meet JoVE's guidelines will require revisions or may be rejected. Upon completion of editorial review, your manuscript has passed quality control and will be peer reviewed.
Following completion of editorial review, all manuscripts are sent out to be peer reviewed by fellow experts in your field of research. The peer review comments are intended to improve the overall quality and scientific rigor of the article. You are expected to revise your manuscript according to peer review comments. When your manuscript has passed peer review, it will be finalized by a JoVE editor, at which time it will be considered in-press. Your final, revised manuscript will be used by JoVE science writers to create the narrative for your video and will be published as the full text article in our journal.
After your manuscript is accepted, you will be charged a one-time fee to help cover the costs of publication.
Authors may choose to publish in standard access, meaning that the viewer needs to have a JoVE subscription to see the full article (list of subscribed institutions), or open access, meaning that anyone can read the protocol and watch the video. For more information, see our Author License Agreement. UK authors, please see our Author License Agreement UK and our page on UK compliance.
Standard access: $2,400
Open access: $4,200
Video production requires money and resources. Please, do not submit a manuscript that you do not wish to publish. Submissions may be canceled with no penalty up until the point at which a script has been written. A fee of $1,200 will be charged if the author withdraws the submission after a script is written in order to offset the cost of pre-production.