— Start —
— Finish —
Why publish in JoVE?
Submitting with JoVE is Easy!
You submit a manuscript, JoVE will film and produce your video. If you are within our videographer network, JoVE films the video in your lab and handles all video editing based on your manuscript text. Please check to see if you are within our videographer network. If in doubt, or you are outside of the network, but are interested in having JoVE film in your lab, please email email@example.com.
It doesn’t have to be a novel technique. We publish novel techniques, novel applications of existing techniques and gold standard protocols. Our primary publication criterion is whether the protocol will be useful for other scientists.
Let our instructional videos show you how.
Short Instructions (3:10) | Detailed Instructions (11:16)
We are the first and only video-based methods journal!
We’re a peer-reviewed journal. We’re also indexed in PubMed/MEDLINE, Scopus, ChemAbstracts and SciFinder.
Unique Structure of JoVE Articles: Before you begin writing your manuscript, please read the following section of this page about the video component of a JoVE article and decide whether you wish to have our professional video production service film and produce your video for you, or if you want to create the video yourself. For more information on the publication costs associated with each type of video, please see publication costs.
If you chose to have JoVE produce your video, please reference our Workflow for Videos Produced by JoVE. If you chose to produce the video yourself, please reference our Workflow for Videos Produced by Author and our Guidelines for Videos Produced by Author.
- Written component
We accept written submissions that follow our Manuscript Instructions for Authors. Please download this and one of our templates: standard manuscript template or, for medical case studies, medical manuscript template. In order for you submission to be considered complete, you must also include our Materials/Equipment Template along with a signed Author License Agreement or Author License Agreement UK.
- Video component
Each published manuscript is accompanied by a video of the protocol filmed in the author’s own laboratory. There are two video production options, Video Produced by JoVE professional videography team or Video Produced by Author. Authors must select the video production option before starting their submission.
- 2.1 Video Produced by JoVE
In most cases, the video component is produced in house by our professional team of science and video editors. Here is a list of locations within our coverage area:
- Australia - Melbourne, Sydney
- Canada - Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Vancouver, Edmonton
- France - Paris, Marseilles
- Germany - Berlin, Stuttgart, Munich, Jena, Heidelberg, Freiburg, Marburg, Rostock, Mainz, Frankfurt, Hannover, Leipzig, Dresden
- Israel - Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Haifa, Beer Sheva
- Netherlands - Amsterdam, Ultrecht, Rotterdam, Haag, Leiden
- Sweden - Stockholm, Uppsala, Karlstad
- USA - Most major cities and academic centers including: Atlanta; Boston; Charlottesville; Charleston, SC; Chicago; Columbus; Dallas/Fort Worth; Denver; Detroit; Gainesville; Huntsville, AL; Houston; Ithaca, NY; Knoxville, TN; Los Angeles; Memphis, TN; Millboro, VA; Minneapolis; New York; New Orleans; Phoenix; Pittsburgh; St. Louis; Salt Lake City; San Francisco; San Antonio; Seattle; Tampa
- UK - All major cities and academic centers in England and Scotland including: London, Oxford, Cambridge, Birmingham, Nottingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Edinburgh
In general, we can film within a 3 hour drive of a city listed here. If in doubt, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation.
After the article is accepted for publication, we will write the script, come out to the lab to shoot the video and handle all video editing. Important details regarding video production workflow can be found in the Workflow for Videos Produced by JoVE.
- 2.2 Video Produced by Author
Authors, particularly those outside of our videographer network, may opt to produce their own video. Author produced submissions must contain both the written manuscript and completed video. These videos must fit within the JoVE format and style as well as meet the technical guidelines specified in our Guidelines for Videos Produced by Author. Author produced videos receive no editing assistance from the JoVE production staff. For author produced submissions, both the video and manuscript are editorially and peer reviewed at the same time, and therefore must be submitted together. NOTE: This publication option should only be selected if the authors have the technical and professional expertise to edit video and audio.
Important details regarding author produced video workflow can be found in the Workflow for Videos Produced by Author.
- 2.1 Video Produced by JoVE