It is simple. You submit your manuscript. If accepted by editorial and peer review, your article will be published. JoVE will then film a video of your technique if you are located within our Videographer Network. We have videographers located across 5 continents. Check here to see if we can film in your location. If you're outside the Videographer Network, you can produce and submit your own video. Any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Manuscript Preparation and Review
- Write your manuscript using this template. Submit it here.
- All submitted manuscripts undergo editorial review to verify compliance with JoVE's guidelines.
- After passing editorial review, your manuscript will be sent to peer review by experts in relevant fields of research.
- Once it successfully passes peer review, your manuscript will be considered in-press. On average, it takes about 2 months after submission.
Filming & Video Production
- After your manuscript is accepted, a JoVE scriptwriter will work to create a video script for filming your experiments. You will approve the script prior to filming.
- A JoVE production coordinator will schedule filming at your laboratory.
- On the day of the filming, a JoVE professional videographer will come to your laboratory (or filming location) and film your experiments according to the video script. The filming typically takes 6-8 hours. The filming happens in the lab where the experiments are done, and the rest of your lab can continue working with no interruption.
- After filming, the JoVE staff edits the video, adds a professional voice-over, and presents the video for your approval.
Publication and Indexing
- After your approval, your article and video will be published on the JoVE website. Your article abstract will appear in PubMed approximately two weeks after publication. JoVE is indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed, Web of Science, Scopus, SciFinder and other scientific indexing services.
Licenses & Fees
- Authors are to provide a signed Author License Agreement. For authors from UK institutions, please use this version.
- Authors may choose to publish in standard access, meaning that the viewer needs to have a JoVE subscription to see the full-text article and video, or open access, meaning that anyone can see the full-text article and video.
JoVE-Produced Publication, Standard access: $2,400
JoVE-Produced Publication, Open access: $4,200
Author-Produced Publication, Standard access: $1,200
Author-Produced Publication, Open access: $3,000
- Cancellation fee: submissions may be canceled with no penalty up until the point at which a video script has been generated by the JoVE’s staff. A fee of $1,200 will be charged if filming is canceled by the author after this point.