Register and login at the JoVE submission site.
- If you are a returning user or have been pre-registered by your editor, log in with the credentials previously provided.
- If you have not been registered, please click Register Now. Do not register a 2nd time.
Submit New Manuscript: Click the Submit New Manuscript link.
Select Article Type:
- Select the correct article type.
- If you select the Author Submitted Video option, make sure that you can produce and submit a high-quality video that follows these guidelines. When you submit your manuscript, include a low resolution (<50 MB) version of your video.
Upload Manuscript Files: Please click the Browse button or drag/drop the files to upload your Manuscript, Figures, and Table of Materials. Items marked with an asterisk are required for upload. Please follow the guidelines in our Manuscript Template concerning accepted file types.
- When attaching figures, please add the figure number and name in the 'Description' box before uploading. Please ensure that the 'Figure Number' and 'Table Number' fields only contain number characters (1, 2, 3.. etc).
- If you wish to change the order of the article items (they will be built into a PDF for editorial and reviewer viewing in this order), enter a number in the 'Order' box and click Update File Order. This is most relevant for figures uploaded out of order.
- Suggested Reviewer (optional): Please suggest 3 potential reviewers or leave the reviewers field blank if you would like JoVE to select reviewers for you. However, please note that we may not use your suggestions, but your suggestions may expedite peer review. Please do not suggest colleagues or recent collaborators.
- Oppose Reviewers (optional): If there is anyone you do not want to review your manuscript, please provide their basic information and a short reason. Please note that we may need to use a reviewer that you identify here, but will try to accommodate your wishes.
- Select who assisted you with the manuscript submission.
- Specify the section of the submitted manuscript. Choose the Journal section that you believe best represents your work. JoVE reserves the right to publish a manuscript in a section different from the one that the author indicates.
- If you would like to have your article considered for inclusion in the methods collection, please select from the list of collections and enter the collection's title. This is optional.
- Choose standard access or open access for your article.
- If the billing contact is not the corresponding author, provide the name, address, and email of your billing contact, including any additional billing information required.
- Please indicate if the author is a United States government employee or not.
- Provide the city, state/province, and country where this article will be filmed. Please do not use abbreviations. Note: This is for a JoVE Produced Video only.
- If the filming contact is not the corresponding author, please provide the name and email of your filming contact.
- Indicate if any of the figures have been previously published.
- The "Author License Agreement" is required for publication. Please confirm that you have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the author license agreement by choosing an option. Authors from UK institutions should select the UK agreement.
- The “Video Release” agreement is required for publishing your video. Please confirm that you have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the video release that apply.
- Please provide comments to the journal if you have any. This is optional.
- Optionally, please provide your Twitter handle if you would like the article to be promoted.
- If your lab is in China, we highly recommend that you provide your WeChat ID to us, so we can easily contact you during the publication process.
- Please declare if you had any financial relationships in the past 24 months with companies whose products or services are discussed in your article or video.
Enter Comments (Optional): If you have any questions or comments, please include them here.
- Title: Please type the full title of your article (150-character maximum). Please use proper capitalization and do not use all caps.
- Abstract: Please enter your abstract. There is a 300-word limit. Please ensure that this abstract is also present in your manuscript.
- Add/Edit/Remove Authors:
- Add any co-authors. Be sure to include all required information. If you do not include all the required information at this step, then you will not be able to complete the final submission.
- The corresponding author(s) of the published article will be determined by the author list in the manuscript text. The author selected as "corresponding author" here is solely for the purposes of communicating during the review. You may reorder the authors by dragging and dropping an Author's summary line to the correct position in the Current Author List.
- If you mark an author (besides yourself) as the corresponding author, all correspondence about the submission and review process will go to this person. If you choose this, your submission will disappear from your account and you will not be able to continue until the new corresponding author logs in to Editorial Manager and approves the submission. Alternatively, please return to the Comments section to add a note indicating the correct corresponding author or contact your JoVE editor. The JoVE Editorial Team will update the corresponding author following submission.
Ensure all required items are attached and information included: If you have missed a submission item or a piece of the required information, you will not be able to complete the submission process. The red exclamation points on the top navigation bar indicate which step has missing information. Navigate back to that step and enter the missing information. After the information is input, navigate back to the Manuscript Data page.
Build PDF: Once all information has been input and files attached, click the Build PDF for Author Approval button.
View Submission: Once the PDF is built, go to Action Links on the left-hand side of the screen and click View Submission (open the file and make sure that all files are attached and displayed correctly). This will be your official submission. Note: At this time, you may receive an automated email requesting that you approve the submission, and you may disregard this email if you proceed below.
Approve Submission or Edit Submission: After viewing your submission PDF, if everything is displayed correctly, click Approve Submission to submit the manuscript to JoVE. If you need to edit the submission prior to approval, such as adding different files or changing author information, click Edit Submission in the Action Links menu. If you edit the submission, the PDF will need to be rebuilt, and you will need to view it again and then approved it to complete your submission process.