Register and login at the JoVE submission site.
- If you are a returning user or have been pre-registered by your editor, log in with the credentials previously provided.
- If you have not been registered, please click Register Now. Do not register a 2nd time.
Submit New Manuscript: click the Submit New Manuscript link.
Select Article Type:
- Select a JoVE Produced Video if you video is produced by JoVE (most articles).
- If you select the Author Produced Video option, make sure that you can produce and submit a high quality video that follows these guidelines. When you submit your manuscript, include a low resolution (<50 MB) version of your video.
Upload Manuscript Files: Please click the Browse button or drag/drop the files to upload your Manuscript, Figures and Table of Materials. Items marked with an asterisk are required for upload. Please follow the guidelines in our Manuscript Template concerning accepted file types.
- When attaching figures, please add the figure number and name in the 'Description' box before uploading. Please ensure that the 'Figure Number' and 'Table Number' fields only contain number characters (1,2,3…etc).
- If you wish to change the order of the article items (they will be built into a PDF for editorial and reviewer viewing in this order), enter a number in the 'Order' box and click Update File Order. This is most relevant for figures uploaded out of order.
- Select Section/Category (optional): Choose the Journal section that you believe best represents your work. JoVE reserves the right to publish a manuscript in a section different from that which the author indicates.
- Enter Keywords: Please enter minimum of 6 keywords, separated by semicolons, which describe your manuscript, including names of techniques, model organisms or other terms to specify the scope of your manuscript. These will help us assign reviewers.
- Select Classifications (optional): Click the Add Classifications button to choose codified classifications. Please use the Search function to find the terms that best describe your work.
- Request Editor: If you have been in contact with a JoVE editor, please select them from the pull down menu. This will ensure that the correct editor is assigned to your manuscript. If you have not been in contact with an editor, please select No Request. Your manuscript will then be assigned to an editor, and they will be in contact with you once assignment has occurred.
- Suggest Reviewers: Please suggest at least 3 qualified reviewers for peer review of your manuscript. This will expedite the review process. However, we may assign these or different reviewers to your manuscript. Please do not include this list in your manuscript.
- Oppose Reviewers (optional): If there is anyone you do not want to review your manuscript, please provide their basic information and a short reason. Please do not include this list in your manuscript.
- Choose an access type for the article between Standard Access or Open Access.
- If the billing contact is not the corresponding author, provide the name, address, and email of your billing contact, including any additional billing information required.
- Please indicate if the author is a United States government employee or not.
- Provide the city, state/province, and country where this article will be filmed. Please do not use abbreviations. Note: this is for JoVE Produced Video only.
- Indicate if any of the text has been previously published.
- Similarly, indicate if any Figures have been previously published.
- If the article is currently under review by another publication, please explain where.
- The "Author License Agreement" is required for publication. Please confirm that you have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the author license agreement by choosing an option. Authors from UK institutions should select the UK agreement.
- If you were invited to submit to one of JoVE’s Methods Collections, please enter the collection's title.
Enter Comments (Optional): If you have any questions or comments, please include them here.
- Enter Title: Please type the full title of your article (150-character maximum). Please use proper capitalization and do not use all caps.
- Enter Abstract: 150-word minimum, 300-word maximum (this should be your long abstract). Please ensure that this abstract is also present in your manuscript.
- Add/Edit/Remove Authors:
- Add any co-authors. Be sure to include all required information. If you do not include all required information at this step, then you will not be able to complete the final submission.
- The corresponding author for submission is not necessarily the same as the corresponding author for the manuscript. This author(s) should be the one responsible for communicating with the editorial office during the publication process.
- If you mark an author (besides yourself) as the corresponding author, all correspondence about the submission and review process will go to this person. If you choose this, your submission will disappear from your account and you will not be able to continue until the new corresponding author logs in to Editorial Manager and approves the submission. Alternatively, please return to the Comments section to add a note indicating the correct corresponding author or contact your JoVE editor. The JoVE Editorial Team will update the corresponding author following submission.
Ensure all required items are attached and information included: If you have missed a submission item or a piece of required information, you will not be able to complete the submission process. The red exclamation points on the top navigation bar indicate which step has missing information. Navigate back to that step and enter the missing information. After the information is input, navigate back to the Manuscript Data page.
Build PDF: Once all information has been input and files attached, click the Build PDF for Author Approval button.
View Submission: Once the PDF is built, go to Action Links on the left hand side of the screen and click View Submission (open the file and make sure that all files are attached and displayed correctly). This will be your official submission. Note: At this time, you may receive an automated email requesting that you approve the submission, and you may disregard this email if you proceed to step 13, below.
Approve Submission or Edit Submission: After viewing your submission PDF, if all is well, clicking Approve Submission will submit the manuscript to JoVE. If you need to edit the submission, such as adding different files or changing author information, click Edit Submission in the Action Links menu. If you edit the submission, the PDF will need to be rebuilt, and you will need to view it and approve it again before submitting.