Jove Lab Bio
Plant Diversity — Lab Prep
- Observing Plant Adaptations
- To begin, first remove the compound microscopes from storage, and place them at the appropriate stations around the room, then place one dissecting microscope at each station. NOTE: One set of microscopes for a group of four students works well.
- Next, acquire prepared slides of moss antheridia, moss archegonia, onion stomata, and conifer pollen, and then place one slide at each microscope station.
- Now, set out materials needed for plant analysis, like rulers to measure plant height, and magnifying glasses to analyze leaf venation.
- Finally, before the lab, identify outdoor locations where students will be able to identify plants from all three of the major groups. Multiple locations with different habitats may be necessary. IMPORTANT: Remind students to wear appropriate protective gear for the field setting.